Thursday, April 11, 2013

And Now We Wait...

Yes, I know, I said yesterday that I probably wouldn't blog today but I just cant stand it. The thought of doing nothing at home all day is already making me crazy so I figured blogging would help eat up at least a little time, so here I am. Turns out my plan to "relax and stay positive" is easier said than done.

After I got my positive ov test result at 3am yesterday morning I let my husband know so he could call-in. I attempted to go back to sleep but realized around 5:30-5:45 that falling back to sleep wasn't going to happen so I decided to get up. I was so excited! I wrote my post and drank my cup of coffee and waited for my husband to wake up. He woke about 7:45 and got in the shower. After he got out, I got in and he wanted to plan on leaving as soon as we got out so that he could stop by the barber on the way while we waited for the clinic to return the message I left. Come 9:00 we still hadn't heard from the clinic so I called again while my husband was in the barber shop to report my test and schedule our appointment as I had been directed to do. Somewhere along the way in the last two appointments we both apparently misunderstood the timing of IUI. When I called and the clerk said "great we will see you tomorrow, what time would work for you?" I was a little irritated as it was already hard for my husband to call off. After talking to the nurse, she said although it isn't the most ideal timing, they would still be happy to do the IUI the same day, so we made the trip. 

I had my ultrasound and was excited to hear that my endometrium lining was 16mm, and the nurse said they want at least 6mm, so I was golden in that department. I was even more excited to see how many follicles I had.....then she told me I had 2 on my left and none on the right--disappointing news because I'm certain it felt like I had about 20 in there! I got dressed and we left to get coffee while we waited the 45 minutes for them to wash the sperm. Let me just say I didn't expect for the procedure to be that uncomfortable... I am still cramping today. It was a very odd feeling. It's not as bad as my period by any means but I wasn't expecting to feel anything since I had made it through my HSG like a champ way back when we first started ttc (I had been told by my Gyn that the test was pretty uncomfortable for most women.)When it was over and the nurse said I could get dressed I almost said "wait aren't I supposed to stand on my head or do something ridiculous like that for 30 minutes?" but she said since the sperm are past the cervix they won't leak back through so I have no activity restrictions other than avoiding hot baths, etc. We headed back home and got back late last night. Today I am cramping a little and I'm not sure if it's still from the IUI or if I'm ovulating now--I'm hoping I'm ovulating.

Now here I sit, trying not to stress and obsess about it. I can't help it though. Every hour counts in the life of a sperm and follicle since there is such a short window for conception. With the odds already not in our favor due to only having 2 follicles and my husband's lowered sperm count I am a nervous nellie today. I said several prayers during the trip yesterday, and even though the odds are against us with our timing not being ideal and all the other factors, I am praying for a miracle. I will test on the 24th and will be sitting around until then waiting & hoping for 2 pink lines. This will be the longest 2 weeks of my life thus far, I am sure of it.


  1. I was wondering about the timing myself, but hope that it ultimately doesn't matter!

    Good luck!!!

  2. The IUI may have been exactly what your body and your husband's sperm needed to connect and the timing won't even matter. Keep positive! The two week wait is the worst. Just keep busy. (Again, easier said than done!) Thinking of you.